Longyearbyen (Norwegian pronunciation: [ˈlɔŋjiːrbyːən] is the largest settlement and the administration centre of Svalbard. Longyearbyen is located on the shore of Adventfjorden a bay of Isfjorden, on the west coast of Spitsbergen. The town has a population of approximately 2 200 People and we have around 30 different nationalities, most are Norwegians.
Known as Longyear City until 1926, the town was established by and named after John Munro Longyear whose Arctic Coal Company started coal mining operations in 1906. Operations were taken over by Store Norske Spitsbergen Kullkompani in 1916 wich still conducts mining..
The town was almost completely destroyed by the German Marine Kriegsmarine on 8 August 1943, but was rebuilt after the second world war. Traditionally, Longyearbyen was a Company but from the early 1990 the town has seen a large increase in tourism, Research and education.
This has seen the arrival of institutions such as the University in Svalbard (UNIS), the Global Seed Vault and Svalbard Satelite Station. Svalbard Airport, Longyear have flight connections to Oslo and Tromsø on the mainland of Norway.